Smalley Institute Postdoctoral Fellowships
ANNOUNCING COMPETITION FOR CARL & LILLIAN ILLIG POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP
- Deadline for submitting application materials: Friday, October 4, 2013 at 5:00pm Central Time
- Winner to be announced at the end of October 2013
- Start date: January 1, 2014 (with a grace period to allow for moving, thesis defense, etc.)
For a summary of eligibility and how to apply, click here
For a detailed document on how to apply, click here
SMALLEY INSTITUTE POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIPS - AMONG THE MOST COVETED RESEARCH POSTDOCTORAL APPOINTMENTS IN THE WORLD
- J. Evans Attwell/Welch Postdoctoral Fellowship: first appointed in 2002
- Peter M. and Ruth L. Nicholas Post-Doctoral Fellowship: first appointed in 2004
- Carl and Lillian Illig Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Nanotechnology: will launch its first appointment in 2014
- We have attracted many of the world's brightest researchers at the nanoscale to work under the mentorship of Smalley Institute Faculty Members.
THE ILLIG POSTDOCTORAL FELLOWSHIP - A STORY OF COMMITMENT
This fellowship program was
established in 1997 by Carl and Lillian Illig, and funding to Rice University
was completed in 2012.
Carl and Lillian met in high school
in Houston at the height of the Great Depression, matriculated together at Rice
University and married after Carl completed law school at the University of
Texas in 1933. Carl began his career in Galveston by working at a law firm – as
was then the custom – for almost no pay. Soon after, Carl became legal counsel at
the Humble Oil Company, which later became part of Exxon. Carl and Lillian
became active members of the community, brought up three children and
accumulated their wealth through savings and investment.
To read more, click here.